Sunday, April 17, 2011

This Unlikely Suicide

I am the only beached whale in Indiana.

Baked.
Fried.
Deflated; defeated
yet liberated.
My transient kind
has ruffled the waves of the shore
and crushed its sand beneath
my 8 ton self.
This unlikely suicide is slow.
I suffocate
as the air from enemy lungs
evaporates my skin
and peels away
my desire for my journey
through the willowy waters of memory.
I chose this death.
I used my enormous fins
to propel my body to this grave
until my belly was rubbed raw
by the gritty footprints
of sun-kissed children
and red faced lovers.
The commotion of the sea overwhelms me;
I simply must give it up.
My tortured, peanut soul
is loosing momentum.
I am a predator to her children
so the sea has cast me away
with violent care and chilly stares.
I lose patience
and throw myself to the mercy
of land unknown.
Death could be the ultimate wave
and I already have a tan.

November 12, 2010

2 comments: