Monday, September 6, 2010

My Make Me High Guy


My Make Me High Guy

Listening to
Dig,
the light illuminates on just his eyes,
creating the vigilante's mask
behind which he can hide.
But not from me.
The guy makes me high,
giving me wings with which I float
in and out of the willow's fingers,
under and over a castle's bridge,
the wake of the water from my speed
sprinkling my cheeks fresh with moldy moat.
He looks at me as a scientist
conducting an experiment,
the ingredients all stirred together;
the product applied through my lungs,
skin, teeth, hair, eyes, nose, and freckles;
the results spewing like a child's laughter
up from my stomach, rolling down my tongue,
and releasing with my lips
as my sounds and words make melodic poetry
that a cat purrs after the lights have all gone out.
Then RATM jumps
out through the speakers and suddenly
I'm an invincible renegade,
unafraid of everything.
I, too, can tell stories in the dark.
I, too, can knock down the walls
that keep others out and protect me
from shrouded souls who try to control
the raging spirit within me.
I, too, can be free.
And with his hands on the wheel
and a smile temporarily attached to my face,
I become liberated and born again
through my own newfound strength
and a little of his inspiration.

September 4, 2010

1 comment:

  1. I'll be a renegade with you any day. I love this, and am so excited you've been posting more poetry recently! Maybe we can have another Abby poem at my poetry slam soon??

    ReplyDelete