Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Muchos poemas!


High Way

We ran out of luck
a long time ago,
so we hit the road
in search for life;
the one we forgot about
while we were busy searching
for other things -
lost coupons, quarters in the couch,
skinny jeans, a mediocre career,
religion, and the expiration dates
on processed foods.
I make sure we're generously packed
with Spaghetti O's, celery and peanut butter,
bbq chips, Oreos, plenty of mary jane,
CapriSuns and Coke, toothpaste,
and a camera with a pen and paper
to keep the memories.
Will we make memories?
Paige thinks so and I agree.

I make lines in the leaves,
dicing them like a chef,
chopping fresh parsley,
and stuffing the bowl full.
Jay keeps his focus,
the distortion of the road reflected
deep in his Aviators,
his knuckles relaxed on the wheel
as I pass the glass to him,
the herb burning slowly
and glowing brighter with each inhale.
Paige traces the clouds behind us;
the entire backseat has become her bed.
She and I pass kisses
in the side view mirrors
and I see what she sees
in the cotton candy of the sky.
Dinosaurs, lollipops,
John Mayer playing Neon,
Ghandi, and the Kool-Aid man
all make themselves known
to us, two passionate souls
connected by blood and the ability to feel
more than any normal person can.
Jay catches my eyes
while the sun shines on his toothy grin
and he professes his undying love
for me again.
That smile alone
makes me believe in the unknown,
in the power of miracles,
in the rewards of love and commitment.
I really do care for you,
he knows my reply before it's even said.
The smell of your skin,
the grease that grows on your hair
when it begs to be washed,
the softness of your hands,
the way your shirt reveals your body
as I pull it over your head
before we fuck -
I honestly do care for you.

And now the sun
moves swiftly over his glasses
and night slowly creeps upon us.
Another spark
and the skunk has released once more,
the blood invades our eyes
calming our breathing
and making us fearless
on a black, abandoned road.
There is no map
because the knowledge of the destination
will ruin the surprise
and dent the freedom of adventure.

Paige gets comfortable
using Ellie and Avalon
as plush pillows and musky, warm blankets,
their faint dog smell
relaxing her breath as it takes stride
along their slow rhythm.
Tessa camps out under the dash,
curled up with Jay's foulest of socks,
the rumble of her purrs
luring him into a much needed sleep
as I take the wheel.

With tunes in my pocket,
the playlist on shuffle,
and the moldable headphones
hibernating in my ears,
I'm ready to get lost
with the lights of old Betsy
revealing my path
and my best friend snuggled up
in my lap.
Zeus and I remain awake,
taking in the scenery
and refusing to allow
our journey to pass by
in front of closed lids.
The drugs keep us relaxed
yet the curiosity maintains our stamina
as I step on the gas,
turn up the volume,
and smile at the knowledge
that even a god
could not have made it this perfect.

August 23, 2010

1 comment: