Saturday, December 3, 2011

Sylvia

I've written a poem about one of my greatest inspirations: Sylvia Plath. She was such an amazing poet and strong, troubled woman. Sometimes I think we suffer from the same inner demons and insecurities. I know I may never be as good of a poet as she was but I will still continue to try to express my feelings through pen and paper. Maybe one day I will inspire someone as much as she's inspired me. Here's to you, Sylvia.

Sylvia

Sylvia, you were there
right in the thick of life,
straining for an answer
and begging for a reason
as to the cruelty inflicted
by inhaling hope and
exhaling constant pain.
The talent was evident,
hidden deep below regret
of a career wasted; a dream covered
by the excrement of deceit.

With ample passion and a voice thick with truth,
you were destined for greatness, Sylvia.
The pride is clear in the cherub faces
of your orphaned children.
You hid your fearful secrets
underneath that yew tree,
carefully planting a massive seed
of doubt into the roots,
allowing the poison to seep through your psyche
and foul your waking dreams.
The risk of sanity blew against you once
but you knew better than to succumb.
That foreseeable, colorless road
would have enslaved you
and drowned you sooner than before.

I envy your descent, Sylvia.
You, a pioneer for bravery,
have made us all unworthy -
sad miscreants full of emptiness,
afraid to push down the blade
and sever the weakness coursing
through the traffic jam of veins
that keep the soul afloat.
The fear, hurt, and betrayal
are what defile and rape us
leaving nothing behind but
the stench of undue decay.

But Sylvia, you have inspired me.
Your power over the pen
and command of the poetic voice
have enraptured me,
seized my heart,
and fulfilled a manic need in me -
a need to express that same affliction
that haunted you for so long.
And perhaps my defeat
will be similarly death with
when it hollows out my essence
and leaves me reeking of exhaust,
molding with the leftover crumbs
littered on the kitchen floor.

December 1, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment