Sunday, June 21, 2009

The Woes of Register #2

Ok, I was stuck on one of the worst registers ALL day today and was so bored out of my mind that I had to write a poem about it.
Enjoy. LOL!

The Woes of Register #2


Alone.

Secluded.

Trapped behind last minute purchases,

the blinking light of the scale

is my only companion.

Some visit,

bearing gifts I cannot keep

and giving money I must accept

but cannot take home.

 

“Debit or credit?” screams through my brain

and fumbles out my lips.

My customers are few

even though I make myself

available.

However, I will always remain locked behind,

only seen as they pay and exit.

 

Ashley, my fellow backyard prisoner,

has a sweet face and kind wit about her.

But she is fierce and steals like a professional,

robbing Jacqueline clean…she only notices

she’s been robbed well after the deed is done

and those souls have paid for their desires

and stuffed them loosely in plastic.

 

Jennifer is always ahead.

Her position allows her to stay busy;

constant.

The speed she displays

maintains her annoying beep

that none of us can escape.

 

We are all withdrawn…pushed off to the side

in hopes of cleaning out

those swift shoppers.

But the hefty ones persist,

forcing their well-over-20 items

onto my counter

so the lack of space overwhelms me

and makes me fret.

 

I hate you, full cart shoppers.

How can you ignore my sign

containing the rules of the game

and feverishly prey on my cheery disposition

and my inability to say ‘no’?

My only solace lies

in the time clock that slowly beats down

the minutes until my release.

But when my end has arrived,

I will punch those buttons and disappear

faster than you can ask, “Are you open?”

 

And Ashley will quickly answer,

“No, but I am!”

And then you’re stolen…just like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment